[ fawr-mey-shuhn ]
/ fɔrˈmeɪ ʃən /
the act or process of forming or the state of being formed: the formation of ice.
the manner in which a thing is formed; disposition of parts; formal structure or arrangement.
- a particular disposition of troops, as in columns, squares, etc.
- any required assembling of the soldiers of a unit.
- a body of rocks classed as a stratigraphic unit for geologic mapping.Compare member(def 8).
- the process of depositing rock or mineral of a particular composition or origin.
What Is A “Self-Own”?There aren’t many better places, it seems, to celebrate the mistakes of others than on social media. Naturally, this is the arena where self-own has had great popularity. So, what does it mean?
Origin of formation
for·ma·tion·al, adjectivemis·for·ma·tion, nounnon·for·ma·tion, nounself-for·ma·tion, noun
sub·for·ma·tion, nounsu·per·for·ma·tion, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019
Examples from the Web for self-formation
All real knowledge involves a spiritual creation, an advance, and a self-formation of life as a whole.Life's Basis and Life's Ideal|Rudolf Eucken
I am mistaken, if we do not recognise in his instance two very interesting qualities of life: predisposition and self-formation.Curiosities of Literature, Vol. 1 (of 3)|Isaac D'Israeli
British Dictionary definitions for self-formation
/ (fɔːˈmeɪʃən) /
the act of giving or taking form, shape, or existence
something that is formed
the manner in which something is formed or arranged
- a formal arrangement of a number of persons or things acting as a unit, such as a troop of soldiers, aircraft in flight, or a football team
- (as modifier)formation dancing
- the fundamental lithostratigraphic unit
- a series of rocks with certain characteristics in common
ecology a community of plants, such as a tropical rainforest, extending over a very large area
Derived Formsformational, adjective
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Medicine definitions for self-formation
[ fôr-mā′shən ]
The act or process of forming something or of taking form.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Science definitions for self-formation
[ fôr-mā′shən ]
A long, mappable body of rock that is recognizable by its physical characteristics and by its location within the rock record.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.