- a particular disposition of troops, as in columns, squares, etc.
- any required assembling of the soldiers of a unit.
- a body of rocks classed as a stratigraphic unit for geologic mapping.Compare member(def 8).
- the process of depositing rock or mineral of a particular composition or origin.
HEED THE VOX POPULI, AND TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of formation
OTHER WORDS FROM formation
Words nearby formation
Example sentences from the Web for formation
“Stay in formation,” a sergeant from the ceremonial unit said over a public address system to the cops along the street.
Lynch stayed in the street, exchanging greetings with cops who had been in formation and were now streaming past.
This led to the formation of a Christian militant group to counter the rebels, and all-out sectarian violence exploded.
For that reason, we will never see the formation of another solar system unfold before our eyes.
The formation of neologisms is a natural process that no amount of outrage can halt.Go Ahead, End With a Preposition: Grammar Rules We All Can Live With|Nick Romeo|November 3, 2014|DAILY BEAST
This is accomplished by means of an "interrupter" that either vibrates rapidly or "snaps" once at the formation of each spark.The Gasoline Motor|Harold Whiting Slauson
The tendency of Alger stories is to the formation of an honorable, manly character.Camp Fires of the Wolf Patrol|Alan Douglas
This dry, fragmentary snow is still further prepared for the formation of banners by the action of the wind.Wisconsin in Story and Song;|Various
They also give rise to the formation of modern myths, that is, fantastic rumours, suspicions and prejudices.Collected Papers on Analytical Psychology|C. G. Jung
The formation of a blister is a vital process, and its success may be taken as a proof of the presence of life.Cooley's Practical Receipts, Volume II|Arnold Cooley
British Dictionary definitions for formation
- a formal arrangement of a number of persons or things acting as a unit, such as a troop of soldiers, aircraft in flight, or a football team
- (as modifier)formation dancing
- the fundamental lithostratigraphic unit
- a series of rocks with certain characteristics in common