- the organization, placement, or relationship of basic elements, as lines and colors in a painting or volumes and voids in a sculpture, so as to produce a coherent image; the formal structure of a work of art.
- three-dimensional quality or volume, as of a represented object or anatomical part.
- an object, person, or part of the human body or the appearance of any of these, especially as seen in nature: His work is characterized by the radical distortion of the human form.
- the structure, pattern, organization, or essential nature of anything.
- structure or pattern as distinguished from matter.
- (initial capital letter)Platonism. idea (def. 7c).
- Aristotelianism. that which places a thing in its particular species or kind.
- a word, part of a word, or group of words forming a construction that recurs in various contexts in a language with relatively constant meaning.Compare linguistic form.
- a particular shape of such a form that occurs in more than one shape. In I'm, 'm is a form of am.
- a word with a particular inflectional ending or other modification. Goes is a form of go.
verb (used with object)
- to make (a derivation) by some grammatical change: The suffix “-ly” forms adverbs from adjectives.
- to have (a grammatical feature) represented in a particular shape: English forms plurals in “-s”.
verb (used without object)
SYNONYMS FOR form
QUIZ YOURSELF ON "WAS" VS. "WERE"!
Origin of form
synonym study for form
OTHER WORDS FROM form
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH formform , forum
Words nearby form
Definition for form (2 of 2)
Origin of -form
Example sentences from the Web for form
This form of discrimination is against Google’s own personalized advertising policy.A Google Ads setting allowed advertisers to exclude people of ‘unknown gender’|Carolyn Lyden|February 11, 2021|Search Engine Land
If you truly believe in love in all its forms, strive to be as sweet and kind as possible, and like nice things, you’re a Charlotte.
In a tweet yesterday, Google announced lead form extensions for Search, Video, and Discovery ads.Is Google moving toward being search marketing’s point of singularity: Thursday’s daily brief|Carolyn Lyden|February 11, 2021|Search Engine Land
Previously in beta, Google Ads announced its updated lead form extension which pops up a form directly from a click on an ad in search, Video, and Discovery.In-SERP lead forms convert Google Ads users without a click-through|Carolyn Lyden|February 10, 2021|Search Engine Land
The league already has called off the NFL scouting combine, at least in its traditional form in Indianapolis.NFL begins an uncertain offseason, with questions about vaccines, the salary cap and more|Mark Maske|February 9, 2021|Washington Post
The same Pediatrics journal notes that 17 states have some form of exception to the standard parental consent requirement.
I mean, physically, mentally, you know, in every way, shape, and form.I Tried to Warn You About Sleazy Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein in 2003|Vicky Ward|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
And with regular clients that see him at least twice a month, relationships inevitably form.Career-Minded Women Turn to Male Escorts For No-Strings Fun and (Maybe) Sex|Aurora Snow|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
I ask Atefeh and Monir if they see dancing as a form of income in the future, a potential career.Iran’s Becoming a Footloose Nation as Dance Lessons Spread|IranWire|January 2, 2015|DAILY BEAST
But probably because we co-edited the Deadline Artists anthologies with our friend Jesse Angelo, we feel a fidelity to the form.
Practise gliding in the form of inflection, or slide, from one extreme of pitch to another.Expressive Voice Culture|Jessie Eldridge Southwick
The supernaturalist alleges that religion was revealed to man by God, and that the form of this revelation is a sacred book.God and my Neighbour|Robert Blatchford
Arches more graceful in form, or better fitted to defy the assaults of time, I have never seen.Glances at Europe|Horace Greeley
As company after company appeared, we were able to form a pretty exact estimate of their numbers.
And remember it is by our hypothesis the best possible form and arrangement of that lesson.The Salvaging Of Civilisation|H. G. (Herbert George) Wells
British Dictionary definitions for form (1 of 3)
- a printed document, esp one with spaces in which to insert facts or answersan application form
- (as modifier)a form letter
- the structure of anything as opposed to its constitution or content
- essence as opposed to matter
- (often capital) (in the philosophy of Plato) the ideal universal that exists independently of the particulars which fall under itSee also Form
- (in the philosophy of Aristotle) the constitution of matter to form a substance; by virtue of this its nature can be understood
- the phonological or orthographic shape or appearance of a linguistic element, such as a word
- a linguistic element considered from the point of view of its shape or sound rather than, for example, its meaning
Derived forms of formformable, adjective
Word Origin for form
British Dictionary definitions for form (2 of 3)
British Dictionary definitions for form (3 of 3)
adj combining form
Word Origin for -form
Medical definitions for form
Idioms and Phrases with form
In addition to the idiom beginning with form
- form an opinion
- run to form
- true to form