- the act of providing for or helping or the ability to provide for or help oneself without assistance from others.
- Law. the act or right of remedying a wrong, without resorting to legal proceedings.
- the acquiring of information or the solving of one's problems, especially those of a psychological nature, without the direct supervision of professionals or experts, as by independent reading or by joining or forming lay groups that are devoted to one's interests or goals.
- of or relating to a book, article, home study course, or the like, offering an individual information or counseling intended to be personally beneficial or profitable: self-help books on overcoming shyness.
Origin of self-help
First recorded in 1825–35
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for self-help
It combines pickup techniques supposedly inspired by evolutionary psychology with self-help pseudoscience.The Secret World of Pickup Artist Julien Blanc
December 1, 2014
Bookstores are stocked with self-help books telling girls how to bag a millionaire.Russia’s Gold Digger Academy
November 11, 2014
Sure, there is an array of “self-help” guides available in the world.A New Breakup Therapist: Your Phone
July 1, 2014
Anderson says some of the men who come to his self-help organization have waited over 60 years to reveal their abuse.Exclusive: Michael Jackson Hit With New Sex Abuse Claim
May 12, 2014
As a popular philosopher and self-help evangelizer, he is in the assertion business—the loftier the better.What is the News? Whatever Alain de Botton Thinks It Is
February 20, 2014
It is indeed, in itself, a monument of the power of self-help in man.
It is, in short, the exhibition of self-help in one of its best forms.
Too much guidance and restraint hinder the formation of habits of self-help.
No help was to be had from either of their homes; it was the day of self-help for all.Southern Lights and Shadows
The highest philanthropy supplies the means and opportunities for self-help.Usury
- the act or state of providing the means to help oneself without relying on the assistance of others
- the practice of solving one's problems by joining or forming a group designed to help those suffering from a particular problem
- (as modifier)a self-help group
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for self-help
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper