- importance; consequence: the significance of the new treaty.
- meaning; import: The familiar place had a new significance for her.
- the quality of being significant or having a meaning: to give significance to dull chores.
Origin of significance
SynonymsSee more synonyms for significance on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for self-significance
It was taking too much notice of him: it was adding to his self-significance; and a call upon him to treat you with insolence.Clarissa, Volume 2 (of 9)
- consequence or importance
- something signified, expressed, or intended
- the state or quality of being significant
Word Origin and History for self-significance
c.1400, "meaning," from Old French significance or directly from Latin significantia "meaning, force, energy," from significans, present participle of significare "to mean, import, signify" (see signify). The earlier word was signifiance (mid-13c.). Meaning "importance" is from 1725. Related: Significancy.