verb (used with object), sent, send·ing.
- to transmit (a signal).
- to transmit (an electromagnetic wave or the like) in the form of pulses.
verb (used without object), sent, send·ing.
- to produce; bear; yield: plants sending forth new leaves.
- to dispatch out of a country as an export.
- to issue, as a publication: They have sent forth a report to the stockholders.
- to emit or discharge: The flowers sent forth a sweet odor.
- to distribute; issue.
- to send on the way; dispatch: They sent out their final shipment last week.
- to order delivery: We sent out for coffee.
- to release or cause to go upward; let out.
- Informal. to sentence or send to prison: He was convicted and sent up for life.
- to expose the flaws or foibles of through parody, burlesque, caricature, lampoon, or other forms of satire: The new movie sends up merchants who commercialize Christmas.
Words nearby send
Idioms for send
Origin of send1
SYNONYMS FOR send
OTHER WORDS FROM sendsend·a·ble, adjective
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH sendscend send
Definition for send (2 of 3)
verb (used without object), sent, send·ing, noun
Definition for send (3 of 3)
verb (used without object) (of a vessel)
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH scendscend send
Examples from the Web for send
And as a bonus, they send home more than $20 billion in remittances each year.Why Mexicans Are Enraged by Obama’s Big Tuesday Meeting|Ruben Navarrette Jr.|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
If nobody on the outside will send Teresa money, should she learn a prison hustle?How a ‘Real Housewife’ Survives Prison: ‘I Don’t See [Teresa Giudice] Having a Cakewalk Here’|Michael Howard|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Johnson knew that the proposals he was going to send to the Hill would be divisive.
After all, there is only one sure-fire message that I can send by putting a Coexist sticker on the back of my car.
But the main message they send is one of membership in a certain cultural group.
In time of war the Athenians send to their foes safe conducts to induce them to assist at the celebration.Pagan Origin of Partialist Doctrines|John Claudius Pitrat
He stopped to send his officer to the Arcade; but the National Guard had been withdrawn from there, too.The Countess of Charny|Alexandre Dumas (pere)
Send to Harold mildly, and gently remind him of oath and of relics—of treaty and pledge.Harold, Complete|Edward Bulwer-Lytton
And how could I send you alone, with such an opportunity to be taken care of!Charles Auchester, Volume 1 of 2|Elizabeth Sheppard
Mrs. Dickens tells me that you have only borrowed the first number of "Little Dorrit," and are going to send it back.The Letters of Charles Dickens|Charles Dickens