- an undertaking or contest deliberately made easy.
- a match or game arranged with an opponent who can be defeated without risk or effort.
- an opponent easy to defeat.
- a shot or play that results in a puck, shuttlecock, ball, or balls being so positioned as to provide a player with an easy opportunity for a winning shot: a playmaker who excels in setups.
- the position of such a puck, ball, etc.: a setup close to and to the left of the goalkeeper.
- the puck, ball, etc., itself: The wing banged the setup into the goal.
Origin of setup
Examples from the Web for setup
Contemporary Examples of setup
He was actually outside the age range for what my account was setup for.Exclusive: Michael Phelps’s Intersex Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend, Taylor Lianne Chandler, Tells All
November 26, 2014
In one passage Brother Consolmango explains the setup of daily life as a science priest.Pope Francis Asked ‘Would You Baptize an Alien?’ Here’s the Answer.
Barbie Latza Nadeau
September 26, 2014
It seemed crammed with characters, and like a setup film for The Sinister Six spin-off.Andrew Garfield on the Evils of Capitalism, the Hacking Scandal, and Criticism of ‘Spider-Man 2’
September 10, 2014
Like all pilots, the majority of the episode is devoted to setup.‘Halt and Catch Fire’ and AMC’s Push to Reset Dramas
May 30, 2014
Well, Electro is part of the Sinister Six, and this movie is really a setup movie.Jamie Foxx on ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2,’ Donald Sterling’s Racism, and Bill O’Reilly’s TV Act
April 28, 2014
Historical Examples of setup
The setup was inspected twice daily by the commander or his executive.The Armed Forces Officer
U. S. Department of Defense
A hasty, last-moment inspection was carried out, every man checking certain details of the setup.Tom Swift and The Visitor from Planet X
No matter how foolproof you think your setup is, if you start smuggling you're bound to get caught.Smugglers' Reef
Instead of pulling a ship to ground, in the setup he'd made, the new fields pulled the ground toward the ship.The Pirates of Ersatz
Their setup for killing, imprisonment, bribery and blackmail functions too well.Circle of Flight
"arrangement," 1890, from verbal phrase set up, attested from c.1200 as "to make ready for use" and from 1950 (in pugilism) as "to bring (someone) to a vulnerable position;" from set (v.) + up (adv.). The verbal phrase also can mean "to establish" (early 15c.) and "put drinks before customers" (1880).