- organization; arrangement.
- an act or instance of setting up or getting ready: The setup of the lights and camera took most of the morning.
- the carriage of the body; bearing.
- a camera position, as for a particular shot.
- everything required for an alcoholic drink except the liquor, as a glass, ice, and soda water, as served to patrons who provide their own liquor.
- an undertaking or contest deliberately made easy.
- a match or game arranged with an opponent who can be defeated without risk or effort.
- an opponent easy to defeat.
- a shot or play that results in a puck, shuttlecock, ball, or balls being so positioned as to provide a player with an easy opportunity for a winning shot: a playmaker who excels in setups.
- the position of such a puck, ball, etc.: a setup close to and to the left of the goalkeeper.
- the puck, ball, etc., itself: The wing banged the setup into the goal.
- an arrangement of all the tools, parts, apparatus, etc., necessary for any of various specific jobs or purposes.
- the equipment or items necessary for a particular activity or period; kit: Each student gets a weekly setup of clean blankets, sheets, and towels.
- a plan or projected course of action.
- a prearranged situation or circumstance, usually created to fool or trap someone; trick; scheme.
Origin of setup
Related Words for setupsystem, structure, composition, organization, order, plan, fool, dummy, sucker, pushover, gull, patsy, mark, dupe, victim, butt, chump, sap, goat, pigeon
Examples from the Web for setup
Contemporary Examples of setup
He was actually outside the age range for what my account was setup for.Exclusive: Michael Phelps’s Intersex Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend, Taylor Lianne Chandler, Tells All
November 26, 2014
In one passage Brother Consolmango explains the setup of daily life as a science priest.Pope Francis Asked ‘Would You Baptize an Alien?’ Here’s the Answer.
Barbie Latza Nadeau
September 26, 2014
It seemed crammed with characters, and like a setup film for The Sinister Six spin-off.Andrew Garfield on the Evils of Capitalism, the Hacking Scandal, and Criticism of ‘Spider-Man 2’
September 10, 2014
Like all pilots, the majority of the episode is devoted to setup.‘Halt and Catch Fire’ and AMC’s Push to Reset Dramas
May 30, 2014
Well, Electro is part of the Sinister Six, and this movie is really a setup movie.Jamie Foxx on ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2,’ Donald Sterling’s Racism, and Bill O’Reilly’s TV Act
April 28, 2014
Historical Examples of setup
On seeing the fugitives, they setup a shout of surprise and anger.City Crimes
The setup was inspected twice daily by the commander or his executive.The Armed Forces Officer
U. S. Department of Defense
Their setup for killing, imprisonment, bribery and blackmail functions too well.Circle of Flight
It was a one-privy-to-a-floor, cold-water only setup, with a family living in every room.Prologue to an Analogue
Glancing into his mirror he took in the setup, then faked a steep climb.A Yankee Flier with the R.A.F.
Rutherford G. Montgomery
"arrangement," 1890, from verbal phrase set up, attested from c.1200 as "to make ready for use" and from 1950 (in pugilism) as "to bring (someone) to a vulnerable position;" from set (v.) + up (adv.). The verbal phrase also can mean "to establish" (early 15c.) and "put drinks before customers" (1880).