- Astronomy. the Sextant, an equatorial constellation between Hydra and Leo.
- (lowercase) a bronze coin of ancient Rome, the sixth part of an as, issued during the period of the Republic.
Origin of Sextans
- (of a fever) characterized by paroxysms that recurevery sixth day.
- a sextan fever.
Origin of sextan
Examples from the Web for sextans
Historical Examples of sextans
The people buried him by the contribution of a sextans from each person.The History of Rome, Books 01 to 08
Sextans, seks′tanz, n. an ancient Roman bronze coin, worth one-sixth of the as.
We may just glance at two double stars in the small constellation of Sextans, situated under Leo.Pleasures of the telescope
- a faint constellation lying on the celestial equator close to Leo and Hydra
Word Origin for Sextans
- (of a fever) marked by paroxysms that recur after an interval of five days