verb (used with object), shut, shut·ting.
verb (used without object), shut, shut·ting.
- to close, especially temporarily; end or suspend operations, services, or business activity.
- to stop operating or stop the operation of (a machine): Did you remember to shut down your computer?
- Also shut down on / upon .Informal. to hinder; check; stop from doing or saying something: He appeared on the talk show to shut down his critics.
- Informal. to defeat or outdo:The team was able to shut down the offense.
- to settle over a place so as to envelop or darken it: The fog shut down rapidly.
- to enclose.
- to confine, as from illness: She broke her leg in a fall and has been shut in for several weeks.
- to stop the passage of (water, traffic, electricity, etc.); close off.
- to isolate; separate: an outpost almost completely shut off from civilization.
- to keep from entering; exclude.
- to hide from view.
- to prevent (an opponent or opposing team) from scoring, as in a game of baseball.
- to imprison; confine.
- to close entirely.
- Informal. to stop talking; become silent (often used as a rude command): Just sit down and shut up! I thought the neighbors would never shut up and let me sleep.
- Informal. to stop (someone) from talking; silence.
- Informal. (used to express disbelief or astonishment): You dated her in high school? Shut up!
QUIZ YOURSELF ON THE 12 TYPES OF VERB TENSES!
Origin of shut
synonym study for shut
OTHER WORDS FROM shuthalf-shut, adjectivere·shut, verb, re·shut, re·shut·ting.un·shut, adjective
Words nearby shut
How to use shut in a sentence
Instead, insurers refused to pay, and Century 21 is shutting down after almost 60 years in business.Got interruption insurance? These companies found it’s useless in the age of COVID-19|Bernhard Warner|September 12, 2020|Fortune
A day after Shanghai Disneyland’s closure, Hong Kong Disneyland shut down.How the coronavirus outbreak is roiling the film and entertainment industries|Alissa Wilkinson|September 11, 2020|Vox
Then on Sunday, Mayor London Breed shut down not just the Great Highway but the parking lots along Ocean Beach.The Climate Crisis Is Happening Right Now. Just Look at California’s Weekend.|by Elizabeth Weil|September 9, 2020|ProPublica
Heeding the advice of public health experts, they quickly shut down businesses, enacted shelter-in-place orders, and built up testing and contact tracing capacity.
Major Hollywood movie studios largely shut down film production in March.Will ‘Tenet’ revive U.S. movie theaters as it’s finally released?|dzanemorris|September 3, 2020|Fortune
And the series was implausibly shut out by both the Golden Globe and SAG Awards.‘The Comeback’ Finale: Give Lisa Kudrow All of the Awards|Kevin Fallon|December 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
A train had actually arrived at the station but its doors were already shut.Alleged Cop Killer Ismaaiyl Brinsley Had a Death Wish|M.L. Nestel|December 22, 2014|DAILY BEAST
“I was really sexually inexperienced, really sexually shut down,” she explained.Dungeons and Genital Clamps: Inside a Legendary BDSM Chateau|Ian Frisch|December 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
And so it was that the federal government did not shut down just when we all had visions of sugar plumbs dancing in our heads.
Human trials of the Ebola vaccine have been temporarily shut down due to adverse side effects.
Another crash, which nearly shut up his spine like a telescope, told him that there were no wings.
After his death crowds flocked to his grave to touch his holy monument, till the authorities caused the church yard to be shut.The Every Day Book of History and Chronology|Joel Munsell
The gnarled hands shut up into clenched fists, and the feeble voice trailed off in an agonized moan.Raw Gold|Bertrand W. Sinclair
He shut his fist and hit Butterface a weak but well intended right-hander on the nose.
The Professor went straight home and shut himself up in his study.Uncanny Tales|Various
British Dictionary definitions for shut
verb shuts, shutting or shut
- to refuse to think about
- to render impossible
Word Origin for shut
Idioms and Phrases with shut
In addition to the idioms beginning with shut
- shut down
- shut off
- shut one's eyes to
- shut out
- shut the door
- shut up
- close (shut) down
- close (shut) one's eyes to
- close (shut) the door on
- keep one's mouth shut
- open and shut case
- put up or shut up