- inclined to skepticism; having an attitude of doubt: a skeptical young woman who will question whatever you say.
- doubtful about a particular thing: My teacher thinks I can get a scholarship, but I'm skeptical.
- showing doubt: a skeptical smile.
- denying or questioning the tenets of a religion: a skeptical approach to the nature of miracles.
- (initial capital letter) of or relating to Skeptics or Skepticism.
Origin of skeptical
Synonyms for skeptical
1. See doubtful.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper