- inclined to skepticism; having an attitude of doubt: a skeptical young woman who will question whatever you say.
- doubtful about a particular thing: My teacher thinks I can get a scholarship, but I'm skeptical.
- showing doubt: a skeptical smile.
- denying or questioning the tenets of a religion: a skeptical approach to the nature of miracles.
- (initial capital letter) of or relating to Skeptics or Skepticism.
Origin of skeptical
SynonymsSee more synonyms for skeptical on Thesaurus.com
1. skeptic. 4. unbelieving.
1. See doubtful.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Word Origin and History for skepticalness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper