- skittles, (used with a singular verb) ninepins in which a wooden ball or disk is used to knock down the pins.
- one of the pins used in this game.
Origin of skittle
Examples from the Web for skittle
Historical Examples of skittle
But the skittle players were in the majority though there was a keen opposition.The Strange Story of Rab Rby
Take my blessing, and stand not on the order of your going to it,—but skittle!In the Onyx Lobby
Finally we went to a skittle ground, where we stayed for some time.Look Back on Happiness
The murmur of voices thickened, and there was no rumbling in the skittle alley to interrupt it.Letters of Travel (1892-1913)
The taproom was built in the yard beside a skittle ground, and was approached through a long passage.The Man with the Book
John Matthias Weylland
- a wooden or plastic pin, typically widest just above the base
- Also called (esp US): ninepins (plural; functioning as singular) a bowling game in which players knock over as many skittles as possible by rolling a wooden ball at them
- beer and skittles (often used with a negative) informal an easy time; amusement