- Also called skivvy shirt. a man's cotton T-shirt.
- skivvies, underwear consisting of cotton T-shirt and shorts.
- a thin sweater with a round neck, usually worn over a blouse, turtleneck, or the like.
Origin of skivvy1
First recorded in 1925–30; origin uncertain
- a female servant, especially a chambermaid.
- to work as a skivvy.
Origin of skivvy2
First recorded in 1910–15; origin uncertain
This term is used with disparaging intent, implying the low rank of such a servant.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for skivvies
By keeping everything cool down there—including your skivvies.Men, Ice Your Balls To Make Babies—and Other Male Fertility Fixes
December 22, 2014
Swindled them all, skivvies and badhachs from the county Meath, ay, and his own kidney too.Ulysses
- mainly British often derogatory a servant, esp a female, who does menial work of all kinds; drudge
- (intr) British to work as a skivvy
C20: of unknown origin
- slang, mainly US a man's T-shirt or vest
- (plural) slang, mainly US men's underwear
- Australian and NZ a garment resembling a sweater with long sleeves and a polo neck, usually made of stretch cotton or cotton and polyester and worn by either sex
of unknown origin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for skivvies
"underwear," 1932, nautical slang, of unknown origin. An earlier skivvy/skivey was London slang for "female domestic servant" (1902).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper