- Also called skivvy shirt. a man's cotton T-shirt.
- skivvies, underwear consisting of cotton T-shirt and shorts.
- a thin sweater with a round neck, usually worn over a blouse, turtleneck, or the like.
Origin of skivvy1
First recorded in 1925–30; origin uncertain
- a female servant, especially a chambermaid.
- to work as a skivvy.
Origin of skivvy2
First recorded in 1910–15; origin uncertain
This term is used with disparaging intent, implying the low rank of such a servant.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for skivvy
It gets better: he also models the skivvy styles, in all of his ripped soccer star glory.David Beckham Designs More Underwear, Karlie Kloss Gets A Haircut
The Fashion Beast Team
November 8, 2012
The servant is a servant, a "slavey," a "skivvy," a "Mary Jane."The Labour-saving House
Dorothy Constance Bayliff Peel
She that was waiting on you, she's got you to skivvy for her now!Miss Million's Maid
"I ain't no skivvy," he protests all the time, but every little odd job gets done.A Diary Without Dates
Well, the skivvy won't think of that, and Pomeroy will guess that we're trying to communicate with him.The Altar Steps
- mainly British often derogatory a servant, esp a female, who does menial work of all kinds; drudge
- (intr) British to work as a skivvy
C20: of unknown origin
- slang, mainly US a man's T-shirt or vest
- (plural) slang, mainly US men's underwear
- Australian and NZ a garment resembling a sweater with long sleeves and a polo neck, usually made of stretch cotton or cotton and polyester and worn by either sex
of unknown origin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012