- with noisy violence: He drove slam-bang through the garage door.
- quickly and carelessly; slapdash.
- noisy and violent.
- excitingly fast-paced, especially in a noisy and violent way; action-filled; thrilling: a slam-bang ending to the movie.
- vigorous and fast but careless; slapdash.
- outstanding or powerful; excellent: a slam-bang keynote address.
- to act or proceed in a chaotic or disorderly fashion: The children slam-banged into the furniture.
Origin of slam-bang
Related Words for slam-bangabsolute, all-inclusive, all-out, assiduous, careful, circumstantial, complete, comprehensive, conscientious, detailed, efficient, exact, full, in-depth, intensive, meticulous, minute, painstaking, particular, plenty
Examples from the Web for slam-bang
Historical Examples of slam-bang
You takes your coat off and I takes off mine, and we goes at it, here and now, slam-bang.The Soul of Susan Yellam
Horace Annesley Vachell
Honest, slam-bang, line play has never entered into their scheme of things.Pieces of Hate
The door creaked and pushed off its hinges, falling with a slam-bang."Say Fellows--"
Wade C. Smith
Right under Uncle Wiggily they flew, and just as the sky-cracker was going to burst with a "slam-bang!"Uncle Wiggily's Travels
Howard R. Garis
Later, the C-bar-K boy admitted that the Alhambra whiskey was not so bad, and his slam-bang denunciation of it uncalled for.The Sunset Trail
Alfred Henry Lewis
- another word (esp US) for slap-bang
- US informal carelessly; recklessly