- a baseball game in which both teams make many runs and extra-base hits.
- a boxing bout in which the boxers exchange powerful blows vigorously and aggressively with little care for defense.
- an intense conflict or combat.
Origin of slugfest
Related Words for slugfesttussle, brawl, ruckus, fisticuffs, melee, altercation, fracas, free-for-all, dogfight, riot, clash, engagement, argument, feud, rumble, struggle, conflict, battle, bout, war
Examples from the Web for slugfest
Contemporary Examples of slugfest
But if Gingrich heads to the showers, a Romney-Santorum slugfest could go all the way to Tampa.Can Newt Gingrich Hang On After Alabama and Mississippi Primaries?
March 13, 2012
After all, the Fox News faceoff has all the elements needed for a slugfest.South Carolina Showdown as GOP Candidates Face Off in Fox Debate
January 16, 2012
“It was encouraging,” Bob Schuman, of an independent committee called Americans for Rick Perry, said of the two-hour GOP slugfest.The Scene From the Spin Room
August 12, 2011
The Wall Street Journal launched its New York section today, sparking a slugfest with The New York Times.Newspaper War!
April 26, 2010
Pundits have mused about the Eisenhower-Petraeus comparison before, but the Afghanistan slugfest gives it new relevance.Petraeus for President?
October 12, 2009
- a boxing match in which opponents trade heavy blows
- any sporting contest between powerful and evenly matched opponents