- a bolt, catch, lock, or fastening on a door or window.
- the catch that holds the bolt on a lock.
- to bolt or fasten (a door or window).
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for snib
Did Sir Reginald ever forget to snib the windows, supposing one happened to be open?Simon
J. Storer Clouston
As early as 1825 the widow Turnbull kept a tavern at Snib Hollow.The Old Pike
Thomas B. Searight
He afterwards passed a string through the joining of the upper and lower windows, and managed to shut the snib.The Green Mummy
- the bolt or fastening of a door, window, etc
- to bolt or fasten (a door)
C19: of uncertain origin; perhaps from Low German snibbe beak