- Photography. to reverse (an image) partially, as from negative to positive, by exposure to light during development.
- solar energy:
- to affect by sunlight.
- Photography. (of material) to become injured by overexposure.
Also especially British, so·lar·ise.
Origin of solarize
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for solarize
This will shorten the time in the camera nearly five minutes; but it requires care, as it is apt to solarize.
- to treat by exposure to the sun's rays
- photog to reverse some of the tones of (a negative or print) and introduce pronounced outlines of highlights, by exposing it briefly to light after developing and washing, and then redeveloping
- to expose (a patient) to the therapeutic effects of solar or ultraviolet light