- the state of being solicitous; anxiety or concern.
- solicitudes, causes of anxiety or care.
- an attitude expressing excessive attentiveness: to show great solicitude about his wife's health.
Origin of solicitude
SynonymsSee more synonyms for solicitude on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for solicitudes
And yet, the minute came when she cast aside all solicitudes and hesitations.The Letter of the Contract
You will understand me, my dear sir, and all my solicitudes and apprehensions.The Poet at the Breakfast Table
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
Amidst all present solicitudes, the future cannot be doubtful.Charles Sumner; His Complete Works, Volume VIII (of 20)
He is carried on by his own solicitudes and his own eagerness.Mr. Scarborough's Family
Then the hearts of the great are corroded by cares and solicitudes which never visit the humble.Zenobia
- the state or quality of being solicitous
- (often plural) something that causes anxiety or concern
- anxiety or concern
Word Origin and History for solicitudes
early 15c., from Middle French solicitude (Modern French sollicitude), and directly from Latin sollicitudinem (nominative solicitudo) "anxiety, uneasiness of mind," noun of state from past participle stem of solicitare (see solicit).