- the process of determining the answer to a problem.
- the answer itself.
- the process by which a gas, liquid, or solid is dispersed homogeneously in a gas, liquid, or solid without chemical change.
- such a substance, as dissolved sugar or salt in solution.
- a homogeneous, molecular mixture of two or more substances.
- the termination of a disease.
- a breach or break in anything, especially one in parts of the body normally continuous, as from fracture or laceration: solution of continuity.
Words nearby solution
Origin of solution
OTHER WORDS FROM solutionso·lu·tion·al, adjectivenon·so·lu·tion, nounpre·so·lu·tion, noun
Examples from the Web for solution
But his solution to this metastasizing threat is, in some ways, counterintuitive.
After almost five months without a solution, the lack of initiative is starting to embarrass the Lebanese government.
And that solution came from a homemade brew Branch and her sister created together.Goodbye To A Natural Hair Guru: Miss Jessie's Cofounder Titi Branch Dead At 45|Danielle Belton|December 16, 2014|DAILY BEAST
All of these strategies need to include young men, so that they are part of the solution.
You and I disagree about the solution to this problem, of course, but we agree that there is a problem.
If you find the formula, Madge, I want you to fix me up a solution for the kitchen pump!The Missing Formula|Mildred A. Wirt, AKA Ann Wirt
Along the beach there was a solution of mud almost as light as the water.Canadian Wilds|Martin Hunter
Sachs had shown that the starch passes down to other parts of the plant in solution as glucose.Disease in Plants|H. Marshall Ward
He turns his attention to the sciences, to the solution of questions that touch the well-being of man.The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol. 8 (of 12)|Robert G. Ingersoll
Such are a few of the questions which the psychic student might ask himself, and which certainly call for solution.The Problems of Psychical Research|Hereward Carrington
British Dictionary definitions for solution
- the unique set of values that yield a true statement when substituted for the variables in an equation
- a member of a set of assignments of values to variables under which a given statement is satisfied; a member of a solution set