- a member of a Hamitic population showing an admixture of Arab, black, and other ancestry, and dwelling in Somalia and adjacent regions.
- the Cushitic language of the Somali.
- of or relating to Somalia,its people, or their language.
Examples from the Web for somali
Contemporary Examples of somali
He could surmise one item in keeping with young women of Somali heritage.How ISIS’s Colorado Girls Were Caught
October 22, 2014
Godane rejects the idea of Al-Shabab negotiating with the Somali federal government, an “apostate government” he dubs it.Ahmed Abdi Godane Is Al-Shabab's Osama bin Laden
September 5, 2014
Many residents of the area are Kikuyu farmers as well as Somali pastoralists.
The daughter reported hearing the assailants singing Somali songs.
In 1999, when Abdi was 14, the family came to the US, settling in Minneapolis where there is a large Somali population.Barkhad Abdi: From Limo Driver to Oscar Contender
February 23, 2014
Historical Examples of somali
He had got his marching orders and was to sail in the Somali from Southampton.Jan and Her Job
L. Allen Harker
The Somali attribute the duty of blood 502revenge to the kin, not to the tribe.Folkways
William Graham Sumner
One night we interviewed Askar, one of the Somali gunbearers.
When we started we had four Somali gunbearers, each of whom rose at dawn to pray.
Abdi, our head-man, was also a Somali, but of a different tribe.
- plural -lis or -li a member of a tall dark-skinned people inhabiting Somalia
- the language of this people, belonging to the Cushitic subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic family of languages
- of, relating to, or characteristic of Somalia, the Somalis, or their language