- in or at some place not specified, determined, or known: They live somewhere in Michigan.
- to some place not specified or known: They went out somewhere.
- at or to some point in amount, degree, etc. (usually followed by about, near, etc.): He is somewhere about 60 years old.
- at some point of time (usually followed by about, between, in, etc.): somewhere about 1930; somewhere between 1930 and 1940; somewhere in the 1930s.
- an unspecified or uncertain place.
Origin of somewhere
Examples from the Web for somewhere
Contemporary Examples of somewhere
Maybe I have come more to terms with, somewhere over the years, that people will think whatever they think.Daphne Merkin on Lena Dunham, Book Criticism, and Self-Examination
December 26, 2014
(Somewhere, on another cloud, live gigabytes of photos from these very parties).I’m a Digital Hoarder
December 17, 2014
Yet somewhere between soundchecks and read-throughs, he still finds time to keep diversifying his resumé.Renaissance Man Jared Leto Defies Categorization
The Daily Beast
December 8, 2014
After processing in everyone else, the cops took him somewhere for a reminder of their thoughts on “rapos.”A Million Ways to Die in Prison
December 8, 2014
So it could have passed—no, would have passed—by somewhere in the 260-175 range.For Obama, Hell Week Has Arrived
November 15, 2014
Historical Examples of somewhere
It was for ever fighting someone, somewhere, for causes which did not interest the subjects at all.Ancient Man
Hendrik Willem van Loon
Somewhere there is a ship that needs it, or if not, the light does its duty.Malbone
Thomas Wentworth Higginson
Somewhere between 1267 and 1280 the Castle had been destroyed and rebuilt.The Grand Old Man
Richard B. Cook
The boy was philandering, junketing, somewhere on the Riviera.
Somewhere in him were the seeds of self-sacrifice, the seeds of a generous devotion to others.
- in, to, or at some unknown or unspecified place or pointsomewhere in England; somewhere between 3 and 4 o'clock
- get somewhere informal to make progress
Word Origin and History for somewhere
Idioms and Phrases with somewhere
In addition to the idiom beginning with somewhere
- somewhere along the line
- get somewhere
- (somewhere) or other