- a member of a group of peoples living along the Niger River in the area of Timbuktu and Gao in Mali and in adjacent areas of Niger and Burkina Faso.
- a West African empire dominated by the Songhai that flourished in the 15th and 16th centuries.
- the Nilo-Saharan language of the Songhai.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- plural -ghai or -ghais a member of a Nilotic people of W Africa, living chiefly in Mali and Niger in the central Niger valley
- the language or group of dialects spoken by this people, now generally regarded as forming a branch of the Nilo-Saharan family