- a specious, unsound, or fallacious reasoner.
- Chiefly British. (especially formerly) a second or third year student at a university.
- Obsolete. an ancient Greek sophist.
Origin of sophister
Examples from the Web for sophister
Historical Examples of sophister
Soph (abbreviation of sophister), a title peculiar to the University of Cambridge.The Slang Dictionary
John Camden Hotten
He ridicules his opponent's arguments as worthy of "a sophister in the parvyse schools."
Do not let any sophister teach thee that thy God is far aloft from thee as the stars are.Jacob Behmen
- (esp formerly) a second-year undergraduate at certain British universities
- rare another word for sophist