- any of the individual characters making up a font of type.
- characters of a particular font that are rarely used.
Idioms about sort
- of a mediocre or poor kind: a tennis player of sorts.
- of one sort or another; of an indefinite kind.
- in low spirits; depressed.
- in poor health; indisposed; ill.
- in a bad temper; irritable: to be out of sorts because of the weather.
- Printing. short of certain characters of a font of type.
Origin of sort
usage note for sort
OTHER WORDS FROM sort
How to use sort in a sentence
I think of it as a personal Eater 38 of sorts, a reminder of what exactly about my city’s local restaurant scene feels most necessary, or comforting, or essential to me.Overwhelmed by How to Help the Restaurant Industry? Make a List.|Erin DeJesus|November 20, 2020|Eater
Like, news links, these are sort of a minority of the views all in and people’s news feed and Facebook.EmTech Stage: Facebook’s CTO on misinformation|Tate Ryan-Mosley|November 18, 2020|MIT Technology Review
In this bonus content our Host Jennifer Strong and her team reimagine Hao’s reporting, gamifying it into an audio postcard of sorts.What is AI? We made this to help.|Tate Ryan-Mosley|November 18, 2020|MIT Technology Review
This would lead to the same sort of extra melting here that Painter’s team had seen.Surprising long-haul dust and tar are melting high glaciers|Sid Perkins|November 17, 2020|Science News For Students
So as a result, they exhibit a sort of rational hypocrisy, where they say different things to different audiences.Capitalism must be saved by capitalists, argue these pioneering ESG investors|kdunn6|November 15, 2020|Fortune
Mr. Lion sorter study, un Brer Rabbit sot dar, he did, un wash his face un lick his paws.
He sorter fear'd er snakes, but he feel 'roun' en he feel 'roun', yit he aint feel no fish.
T wa'n't nothin' but bird shot, so I sorter stuck in a marble.The Calico Cat|Charles Miner Thompson
Sorter clears him out, you know, of all the slumgullion that's in him.Stories in Light and Shadow|Bret Harte
Grate king, Mars Jon, what sorter ammynishun did dem dare yankeys shoot outen dare kannons ennyhow?The Broken Sword|Dennison Worthington
British Dictionary definitions for sort
- of an inferior kind
- of an indefinite kind
- (adverb) in some way or other; as it were; rather
- (sentence substitute) used to express reservation or qualified assentI’m only joking. Sort of
Derived forms of sortsortable, adjectivesortably, adverbsorter, noun
Word Origin for sort
Other Idioms and Phrases with sort
see after a fashion (sort); all kinds (sorts) of; bad sort; it takes all sorts; kind (sort) of; nothing of the kind (sort); of sorts; out of sorts.