Definition for sorting (2 of 2)
- any of the individual characters making up a font of type.
- characters of a particular font that are rarely used.
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
- evolve; develop; turn out: We'll just have to wait and see how things sort out.
- to put in order; clarify: After I sort things out here, I'll be able to concentrate on your problem.
Origin of sort
Examples from the Web for sorting
The system faintly evokes the charm of the Hogwarts houses—without a Sorting Hat, that is.
Mainly so the rest of the sorting and drying can begin when the downpours get too heavy to be out in the fields.
He poured heaps of them onto a bed and set about sorting the jumble of tiny vehicles.
Journalism has a slightly different set of rules for choosing topics and sorting evidence.
She spent years sorting, transcribing, and inventorying the papers.
Papa's company is paid by all the others to do the floating down stream and the sorting out.The Adventures of Bobby Orde|Stewart Edward White
And, in this sorting, the department manager's stenographer can render valuable assistance.
We have spoken of sorting the animal kingdom into its various kinds.Stories of the Universe: Animal Life|B. Lindsay
Let them have the pleasure and benefit which come from sorting the ravelings.Hand-Loom Weaving|Mattie Phipps Todd
When she entered the room again we were sorting out our letters and papers, and she said, "You surely must be sappers!"From John O'Groats to Land's End|Robert Naylor and John Naylor
British Dictionary definitions for sorting
- of an inferior kind
- of an indefinite kind
- (adverb) in some way or other; as it were; rather
- (sentence substitute) used to express reservation or qualified assentI’m only joking. Sort of
Derived Formssortable, adjectivesortably, adverbsorter, noun
Word Origin for sort
Science definitions for sorting
Idioms and Phrases with sorting
see after a fashion (sort); all kinds (sorts) of; bad sort; it takes all sorts; kind (sort) of; nothing of the kind (sort); of sorts; out of sorts.