- a group of closely related Bantu languages spoken in Lesotho and South Africa.
- any of the Sotho languages, especially Sesotho.
- Also called Basuto. a member of any of a cluster of linguistically and culturally related Bantu-speaking peoples of southern Africa, including the Tswana.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sotho
Historical Examples of sotho
Sotho teaches Odin a Code of War which at any time may become the philosophy of a nation.William Blake
- plural -tho or -thos a member of a large grouping of Negroid peoples of southern Africa, living chiefly in Botswana, South Africa, and Lesotho
- the group of mutually intelligible languages of this people, including Lesotho, Tswana, and Pedi. It belongs to the Bantu group of the Niger-Congo family
- plural -tho or -thos Southern African a member of the Basotho people; a Mosotho
- Southern African the dialect of Sotho spoken by the Basotho; Sesotho. It is an official language of Lesotho along with English
Former name (for senses 3, 4): Basuto
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012