- the point or direction midway between south and west. Abbreviation: SW
- a region in this direction.
- the Southwest, the southwest region of the United States.
- lying toward, situated in, or directed toward the southwest.
- coming from the southwest, as a wind.
- in the direction midway between south and west.
Origin of southwest
Examples from the Web for southwest
Contemporary Examples of southwest
AirAsia, on the other hand, is a relatively new carrier, an upstart in the tradition of Southwest Airlines in the United States.The Presumed Crash of AirAsia Flight QZ8501 Is Nothing Like MH370
December 29, 2014
This leaves Southwest, a serious competitor, as the only domestic carrier left able to claim “bags fly free.”Flying Coach Is the New Hell: How Airlines Engineer You Out of Room
November 25, 2014
In the Rockies, the number climbs to 26 percent, and in the Southwest, fully a third are on board.America’s Slumbering Secession Obsession
September 23, 2014
Close to 50,000 unaccompanied Central American minors showed up at the southwest border this year.Could You Make It to America Alive?
September 3, 2014
Checkpoints like this one and the 33 others along the southwest border are the source of frustration for the towns they occupy.A Shooting on a Tribal Land Uncovers Feds Running Wild
August 26, 2014
Historical Examples of southwest
It faded soon into a gray fog, with puffs of wind from the southwest again.Malbone
Thomas Wentworth Higginson
If the woman was there, if she inhabited the southwest chamber, there might be some sign of her.Quaint Courtships
It is about five hundred feet long, running northeast and southwest.Buried Cities: Pompeii, Olympia, Mycenae
"Southwest, at about a thousand more elevation," he directed.
Harrison was the hero of the Northwest, as Jackson had been of the Southwest.The Frontier in American History
Frederick Jackson Turner
- the point of the compass or the direction midway between west and south, 225° clockwise from north
- (often cap usually preceded by the) any area lying in or towards this direction
- (sometimes capital) of or denoting the southwestern part of a specified country, area, etcsouthwest Italy
- situated in or towards the southwest
- (esp of the wind) from the southwest
- in, to, towards, or (esp of the wind) from the southwest
- the Southwest the southwestern part of Britain, esp Cornwall, Devon, and Somerset