- the designed and structured surface of a picture: In Mondrian's later work he organized space in highly complex rhythms.
- the illusion of depth on a two-dimensional surface.
- to separate (words, letters, or lines) by spaces.
- to extend by inserting more space or spaces (usually followed by out).
Origin of space
OTHER WORDS FROM spacespacer, nounmis·space, verb (used with object), mis·spaced, mis·spac·ing.re·space, verb (used with object), re·spaced, re·spac·ing.
Words nearby space
How to use space in a sentence
What is clear is that in one of the reports Prude’s name was written in the space to label the “Victim.”Officials Worked To Deliberately Delay Release Of Daniel Prude Body Cam Footage|mharris|September 17, 2020|Essence.com
It can make it hard to say what president would be better for space.
To survive, coastal wetlands need space to shift, Narayan explains.Soggy coastal soils? Here’s why ecologists love them|Alison Pearce Stevens|September 17, 2020|Science News For Students
India’s space agency is debating the 2023 launch of a Venus orbiter called Shukrayaan-1 to study atmospheric chemistry.
Watch this space for more to come from OZY on a thrilling new podcast, our election night plans and more.
Space Invaders had just been introduced in America, and Atari was looking for a game that would do it one better.
Her very first sculpture, a metallic chrome unicorn aptly titled “Space Oracle,” sits on a pedestal directly in front.
An unmanned rocket intended to deliver supplies to the International Space Station exploded on Tuesday.Harry Potter Raps, The Catcalls Heard ‘Round the World and More Viral Videos|Alex Chancey|November 2, 2014|DAILY BEAST
These companies include SpaceX, Orbital Sciences, Sierra Nevada Space Systems, and more.Luxembourg and China Team Up on Private Mission to the Moon|Matthew R. Francis|October 26, 2014|DAILY BEAST
It should also be noted that Space Jam did not make the cut, so you can rest easy.
And we may proceed to the remaining two of the great classes into which facts have been divided; Resemblance, and Order in Space.A System of Logic: Ratiocinative and Inductive|John Stuart Mill
A suspense story of Tomorrow and a crisis in the advance into Space.Space Prison|Tom Godwin
"We were going to talk about the Space Guard," Lyla said in an emotionless tone.
I understand you wanted to talk to me about the Space Guard?
Space will not permit going over these connections in detail.Elements of Plumbing|Samuel Dibble
British Dictionary definitions for space
- unoccupied area or roomthere is no space for a table
- (in combination)space-saving Related adjective: spacious
- the region beyond the earth's atmosphere containing the other planets of the solar system, stars, galaxies, etc; universe
- (as modifier)a space probe; space navigation
- the region beyond the earth's atmosphere occurring between the celestial bodies of the universe. The density is normally negligible although cosmic rays, meteorites, gas clouds, etc, can occur. It can be divided into cislunar space (between the earth and moon), interplanetary space, interstellar space, and intergalactic space
- (as modifier)a space station; a space simulator
- a piece of metal, less than type-high, used to separate letters or words in hot-metal printing
- any of the gaps used to separate letters, words, or lines in photocomposition, desktop publishing, etc
Word Origin for space
Medical definitions for space
Scientific definitions for space
Other Idioms and Phrases with space
In addition to the idiom beginning with space
- space out
- breathing space
- take up space