- the designed and structured surface of a picture: In Mondrian's later work he organized space in highly complex rhythms.
- the illusion of depth on a two-dimensional surface.
verb (used with object), spaced, spac·ing.
- to separate (words, letters, or lines) by spaces.
- to extend by inserting more space or spaces (usually followed by out).
TAKE ROUND 2 OF OUR PSAT VOCABULARY QUIZ!
Origin of space
OTHER WORDS FROM spacespac·er, nounmis·space, verb (used with object), mis·spaced, mis·spac·ing.re·space, verb (used with object), re·spaced, re·spac·ing.
Words nearby space
Example sentences from the Web for spacer
She was very tall, he realized, almost as tall as a Spacer woman—but with none of the harsh ruggedness of the women of Spacertown.The Happy Unfortunate|Robert Silverberg
They slipped out each night, though, and walked the two miles to the Spacer Graveyard down near the river.Equation of Doom|Gerald Vance
First thing tomorrow we'll get you a decent set of clothes, so you can walk down the street without having people yell 'Spacer!'Starman's Quest|Robert Silverberg
The charge had been a fake, an old military stunt that any green Spacer could have seen through.The Sex Life of the Gods|Michael Knerr
British Dictionary definitions for spacer (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for spacer (2 of 2)
- unoccupied area or roomthere is no space for a table
- (in combination)space-saving Related adjective: spacious
- the region beyond the earth's atmosphere containing the other planets of the solar system, stars, galaxies, etc; universe
- (as modifier)a space probe; space navigation
- the region beyond the earth's atmosphere occurring between the celestial bodies of the universe. The density is normally negligible although cosmic rays, meteorites, gas clouds, etc, can occur. It can be divided into cislunar space (between the earth and moon), interplanetary space, interstellar space, and intergalactic space
- (as modifier)a space station; a space simulator
- a piece of metal, less than type-high, used to separate letters or words in hot-metal printing
- any of the gaps used to separate letters, words, or lines in photocomposition, desktop publishing, etc
Word Origin for space
Medical definitions for spacer
Scientific definitions for spacer
Idioms and Phrases with spacer
In addition to the idiom beginning with space
- space out
- breathing space
- take up space