- an American game fish, Scomberomorus maculatus, inhabiting the Atlantic Ocean.
- any of various similar scombroid fishes.
- (in California) the jack mackerel.
Origin of Spanish mackerel
An Americanism dating back to 1660–70
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Also called: kingfish any scombroid food fish of the genus Scomberomorus, esp S. maculatus, of American coastal regions of the Atlantic: family Scombridae (mackerels, tunnies, etc)
- a mackerel, Scomber colias, of European and E North American coasts that is similar to the common Atlantic mackerel
- any of various related marine food fishes, esp Scomberomerus Commerson
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012