- a special or distinctive quality, mark, state, or condition.
- a special subject of study, line of work, area of interest, or the like: His specialty is art criticism.
- an article or service particularly dealt in, rendered, manufactured, etc., or one to which the provider, dealer, or manufacturer claims to devote special care: The manufacturer's specialty is fine hats.
- an article of unusual or superior design or quality.
- a novelty; a new article.
- an article with such strong consumer demand that it is at least partially removed from price competition.
- a special or particular point, item, matter, characteristic, or peculiarity.
- a special agreement, contract, etc., expressed in an instrument under seal.
- a negotiable instrument not under seal.
- Theater. (in vaudeville)
- performing or performed in a manner that is unusual or not customary for a type of act, especially a performance involving dexterity or ingenuity, as a patter song: specialty actor; specialty act.
- (of a song or dance) isolated from the rest of the show: specialty number.
Origin of specialty
SynonymsSee more synonyms for specialty on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for specialty
MK Chambers Company Michigan-based supplier of specialty machining.
Conestoga Wood Specialties Corporation A Pennsylvania-based wood cabinet and specialty products manufacturer.
The notion to morph a specialty tortilla chip into a taco shell at first may sound like it would be a snap.Taste Sensation Innovation
September 18, 2014
Back in the 1990s, he ran afoul of the American Board of Ophthalmology (ABO), the certifying organization for his specialty.Rand Paul and the Certification Racket
August 11, 2014
His family ran a butcher shop in a part of town so tough that their specialty was broken leg of lamb.Toledo: The Town Too Tough for Toxic Water
P. J. O’Rourke
August 4, 2014
She has made a specialty of Angoras, and her collection is famous.Concerning Cats
Helen M. Winslow
I speak as a connoisseur, for faces are a specialty of mine.The Captain of the Pole-Star and Other Tales
Arthur Conan Doyle
This house makes a specialty of seed-corn and we believe that they will do what they say they will.
As Cornish men we should adopt the specialty of our province, and become miners.
Specialty after specialty would be unveiled and teams would work on them.Masters of Space
Edward Elmer Smith
- law a formal contract or obligation expressed in a deed
- US and Canadian a special interest or skill
- a service or product specialized in, as at a restaurantroast beef was a specialty of the house
- (as modifier)a specialty dish
- a special or distinguishing feature or characteristic
Word Origin and History for specialty
early 14c., from Middle French especialte, variant of specialite, from Latin specialitatem (nominative specialitas) "peculiarity," from specialis (see special). Speciality is attested from early 15c.; French form spécialité (especially in reference to restaurant dishes) is recorded from 1839.
- A branch of medicine or surgery in which a physician specializes; the field or practice of a specialist.