- Also called film speed. the sensitivity of a film or paper to light, measured by an ASA or DIN index, which assigns low numbers to slow film and higher numbers to faster film.
- Also called shutter speed. the length of time a shutter is opened to expose film.
- the largest opening at which a lens can be used.
verb (used with object), sped or speed·ed, speed·ing.
verb (used without object), sped or speed·ed, speed·ing.
FOR POSTERITY’S SAKE, TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for speed
- at the greatest speed possible: We drove down the highway at full speed.
- to the maximum of one's capabilities; with great rapidity: He worked at full speed.
- operating at full or optimum speed.
- functioning or producing at an expected, acceptable, or competitive level; up to par: a new firm not yet up to speed.
Origin of speed
SYNONYMS FOR speed
ANTONYMS FOR speed
OTHER WORDS FROM speed
Words nearby speed
Example sentences from the Web for speeded
This way he pulled scores from the death marches, and speeded them back to Budapest.Raoul Wallenberg’s World War II Heroism a Lesson for World Doing Nothing About Syria|Kati Marton|March 15, 2012|DAILY BEAST
Methods of production have been speeded up, labor-saving machinery in industry and agriculture multiplied.
The housework is speeded up with such conveniences as hot and cold water in kitchen and bathroom, and steam heat.How To Write Special Feature Articles|Willard Grosvenor Bleyer
Quickly he speeded up the engine, giving the cylinders all the gasolene they would take, and he also began to advance the spark.The Motor Boys on the Atlantic|Clarence Young
British Dictionary definitions for speeded
- a gear ratio in a motor vehicle, bicycle, etc
- (in combination)a three-speed gear
- operating at an acceptable or competitive level
- in possession of all the relevant or necessary information
verb speeds, speeding, sped or speeded
- (intr) to prosper or succeed
- (tr) to wish success to
Derived forms of speedspeeder, noun
Word Origin for speed
Scientific definitions for speeded
Idioms and Phrases with speeded
In addition to the idiom beginning with speed
- speed up
- full speed ahead
- up to par (speed)