- Also called film speed. the sensitivity of a film or paper to light, measured by an ASA or DIN index, which assigns low numbers to slow film and higher numbers to faster film.
- Also called shutter speed. the length of time a shutter is opened to expose film.
- the largest opening at which a lens can be used.
verb (used with object), sped [sped] /spɛd/ or speed·ed, speed·ing.
verb (used without object), sped [sped] /spɛd/ or speed·ed, speed·ing.
BEAT THE DOLDRUMS WITH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for speed
- at the greatest speed possible: We drove down the highway at full speed.
- to the maximum of one's capabilities; with great rapidity: He worked at full speed.
- operating at full or optimum speed.
- functioning or producing at an expected, acceptable, or competitive level; up to par: a new firm not yet up to speed.
Origin of speed
SYNONYMS FOR speed
synonym study for speed
OTHER WORDS FROM speed
Words nearby speed
Example sentences from the Web for speed
Since then, total hours worked have rebounded at exactly the same speed.Despite wildly different approaches, the US and UK are seeing identical declines in hours worked|Dan Kopf|September 17, 2020|Quartz
The discovery of this phenomenon, which theorists called universality, was as bizarre as finding that elephants and egrets move at precisely the same top speed.How Mathematical ‘Hocus-Pocus’ Saved Particle Physics|Charlie Wood|September 17, 2020|Quanta Magazine
Added to which, a page that’s been properly optimized for speed might not need AMP for those speed gains, as well.Google ranking factors to change search in 2021: Core Web Vitals, E-A-T, or AMP?|Aleh Barysevich|September 16, 2020|Search Engine Watch
You can coach sharpness within speeds, so that means how you start, how you push off and how you maintain your sprint speed by the technique that you use.A Canadian Teenager Is One Of The Fastest Soccer Players In The World|Julian McKenzie|September 16, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
As the next flare runs into the protons released by the previous flare, it would accelerate protons and electrons in the same direction at the same speeds.Neutrinos could reveal how fast radio bursts are launched|Lisa Grossman|September 16, 2020|Science News
Term limits could be a prescription to speed change along.
The jet engine instantly brought two advances over propellers: it doubled the speed and it was far more reliable.Flight 8501 Poses Question: Are Modern Jets Too Automated to Fly?|Clive Irving|January 4, 2015|DAILY BEAST
One report has the AirAsia Airbus flying at a speed very close to what would trigger a low speed stall.
Said it was like speed dating because he was late after hitting every wrong gate on the lot.Exclusive: Sony Emails Slam Leonardo DiCaprio, Willow and Jaden Smith, Gush Over Ryan Gosling|William Boot|December 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
In a flash he deflects the shot, with the speed of instinct, right past the goalkeeper.
I suppose it is a sort of nemesis of wit; the skidding of a wheel in the height of its speed.George Bernard Shaw|Gilbert K. Chesterton
And they have animals on which they sit, and which carry them at a speed far greater than that at which a man can run?By Right of Conquest|G. A. Henty
Why should they not speed the conviction of him whose intrigues were accessory to this double homicide?Oswald Langdon|Carson Jay Lee
The day appointed for sailing was fast approaching, and had to make all speed to get through various engagements in Manilla.Kathay: A Cruise in the China Seas|W. Hastings Macaulay
They started in an almost hopeless pursuit, for the speed of an Indian in the woods is hard to cope with.Some Three Hundred Years Ago|Edith Gilman Brewster
British Dictionary definitions for speed
- a gear ratio in a motor vehicle, bicycle, etc
- (in combination)a three-speed gear
- operating at an acceptable or competitive level
- in possession of all the relevant or necessary information
verb speeds, speeding, sped or speeded
- (intr) to prosper or succeed
- (tr) to wish success to
Derived forms of speedspeeder, noun
Word Origin for speed
Scientific definitions for speed
Idioms and Phrases with speed
In addition to the idiom beginning with speed
- speed up
- full speed ahead
- up to par (speed)