- the act of intentionally causing a rocket or guided missile to undergo a roll.
- a roll so caused.
- to create something new, as a company or assets, without detracting from or affecting the relative size or stability of the original: After the acquisition, the company was required to spin off about a third of its assets.
- to derive from or base on something done previously: They took the character of the maid and spun off another TV series.
Idioms about spin
Origin of spin
synonym study for spin
OTHER WORDS FROM spinspin·na·bil·i·ty, nounspin·na·ble, adjectiveoutspin, verb (used with object), out·spun, out·spin·ning.un·spin·na·ble, adjective
Words nearby spin
How to use spin in a sentence
There are days as a PR person you’re going out there and, yes, you cherry-pick facts to put the best spin on stuff.Full Transcript: Sean Spicer on ‘The Carlos Watson Show’|Daniel Malloy|August 26, 2020|Ozy
Judges often guess the number of flips or spins based on how long the athlete stayed in the air and what position he or she landed in.A robot referee can really keep its ‘eye’ on the ball|Kathryn Hulick|August 20, 2020|Science News For Students
However, we found that15 LHPs generally have had lower spin rates on their pitches, both fastballs and off-speed pitches.What Really Gives Left-Handed Pitchers Their Edge?|Guy Molyneux|August 17, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
Pitcher Caleb Smith has elite spin and movement, allowing him to strike out better than a batter per inning for his three-year career.The Dodgers Lead Our National League Predictions, But Don’t Count Out The Nats Or … Reds?|Travis Sawchik|July 22, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
Cisco’s social media strategists have however put a new spin on the B2B Snapchat social media experience.How to plan your social media strategy for any business|Sumeet Anand|June 24, 2020|Search Engine Watch
The effort to sterilize his image first began when Epstein hired Los Angeles-based spin doctors Sitrick Co.Sleazy Billionaire’s Double Life Featured Beach Parties With Stephen Hawking|M.L. Nestel|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Although he brings a Western spin to things, he seems equally inspired by the local sense of style.The Photographer Who Gave Up Manhattan for Marrakech|Liza Foreman|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Spin control began, Florida-style: the opinion only covers some counties, some people, some times.The Back Alley, Low Blow-Ridden Fight to Stop Gay Marriage in Florida Is Finally Over|Jay Michaelson|January 5, 2015|DAILY BEAST
David Greenberg at Rutgers University has a book coming out next year on political spin.
Aaron Paul may play a young Han Solo in the first Star Wars spin-off.Juiciest ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Rumors (and Some Debunked Ones)|Rich Goldstein|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
You can probably realize just how headquarters would take the sort of yarn we'd spin if we dashed in and told them the truth.Raw Gold|Bertrand W. Sinclair
"Let us go down the shore a bit," suggested Jack to Pepper and Andy, and the three joined hands for the spin.The Mystery at Putnam Hall|Arthur M. Winfield
The women of the interior spin and weave for their household, and they also embroider very beautifully.Journal of a Voyage to Brazil|Maria Graham
Neither of us had the advantage for the moment, so I went in for a quick wristlock and spin.
It was as if she could spin it out by interposing between the moment and its end a series of insignificant acts.The Creators|May Sinclair
British Dictionary definitions for spin
- to draw out and twist (natural fibres, as of silk or cotton) into a long continuous thread
- to make such a thread or filament from (synthetic resins, etc), usually by forcing through a nozzle
- the intrinsic angular momentum of an elementary particle or atomic nucleus, as distinguished from any angular momentum resulting from its motion
- a quantum number determining values of this angular momentum in units of the Dirac constant, having integral or half-integral valuesSymbol: S, s
Word Origin for spin
Scientific definitions for spin
Other Idioms and Phrases with spin
In addition to the idioms beginning with spin
- spin a yarn
- spin control
- spin doctor
- spin off
- spin one's wheels
- spin out
- go into a tailspin
- make one's head spin
- put a spin on