- the belief or doctrine that the spirits of the dead, surviving after the mortal life, can and do communicate with the living, especially through a person (a medium) particularly susceptible to their influence.
- the practices or phenomena associated with this belief.
- the belief that all reality is spiritual.
- Metaphysics. any of various doctrines maintaining that the ultimate reality is spirit or mind.
- spiritual quality or tendency.
- insistence on the spiritual side of things, as in philosophy or religion.
Origin of spiritualism
Related Words for spiritualismclairvoyance, insight, premonition, presentiment, spiritualism, ESP, parapsychology, pietism, cabalism, cabala, quietism, kabala, telesthesia, cabbalism, ontologism, orphism
Examples from the Web for spiritualism
Contemporary Examples of spiritualism
Nevertheless, the triumph of West Coast spiritualism over East Coast secularism has civilization-wide implications.Can Heritage Foundation Posterboy Bono Save the GOP?
March 15, 2014
All three were anxious," Gray writes, "that the rise of Spiritualism would block the advance of scientific materialism.Our Crazy Quest for Immortality
May 14, 2011
Historical Examples of spiritualism
Moreover, when he was about thirty, he had busied himself with spiritualism.The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
She has a most amazing fund of common-sense and is "down" on Spiritualism to a degree.
I believe in dreams and presentiments and Spiritualism and all the rest of it now.
Science, as a rule, has avoided the subject of Spiritualism.
This is the oldest and still the most popular theory—the theory of spiritualism.Mind and Motion and Monism
George John Romanes
- the belief that the disembodied spirits of the dead, surviving in another world, can communicate with the living in this world, esp through mediums
- the doctrines and practices associated with this belief
- philosophy the belief that because reality is to some extent immaterial it is therefore spiritual
- any doctrine (in philosophy, religion, etc) that prefers the spiritual to the material
- the condition or quality of being spiritual