- the landing of a space vehicle in a body of water, especially the ocean.
- the exact place where such a landing is made.
- the time of such a landing.
Origin of splashdown
First recorded in 1959; noun use of verb phrase splash down
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for splashdownimpact, accident, collapse, wreck, debacle, pileup, smash, shock, crunch, bump, concussion, ram, jar, jolt, percussion, thump, total, ditch, thud, washout
Examples from the Web for splashdown
Historical Examples of splashdown
Marci jumped a foot out of the water, and her splashdown sent watery ripples rebounding off the cavern walls.Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town
- the controlled landing of a spacecraft on water at the end of a space flight
- the time scheduled for this event
- (intr, adverb) (of a spacecraft) to make a splashdown
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012