- the amount by which one quantity is greater or less than another.
- relative complement.
- (of a function f) an expression of the form f(x + h) − f(x).
verb (used with object), dif·fer·enced, dif·fer·enc·ing.
Words nearby difference
Idioms for difference
- to compromise, especially to make equal concessions.
- to divide the remainder equally: Let's take half of the cake and let the three of them split the difference.
Origin of difference
SYNONYMS FOR difference
synonym study for difference
British Dictionary definitions for split the difference
- the result of the subtraction of one number, quantity, etc, from another
- the single number that when added to the subtrahend gives the minuend; remainder
- the set of members of the first that are not members of the secondSymbol: A – B
- symmetric difference the set of members of one but not both of the given setsOften symbolized: A + B
- to have an effect
- to treat differently
- to settle a dispute by a compromise
- to divide a remainder equally
Medical definitions for split the difference
Idioms and Phrases with split the difference (1 of 2)
Compromise between two close figures, divide the remainder equally. For example, You're asking $5,000 for the car and I'm offering $4,000; let's split the difference and make it $4,500. [c. 1700]
Idioms and Phrases with split the difference (2 of 2)
see make a difference; split the difference. Also see under different.