- to perform or participate in a square dance.
- to participate in a hoedown.
Origin of square-dance
First recorded in 1955–60
- a dance by a set of four couples arranged in a square or in some set form.
- hoedown(def 1).
Origin of square dance
First recorded in 1865–70
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for square-dance
Historical Examples of square-dance
He was also much in demand as a square-dance caller and fiddler.
"If he's a square-dance caller, his memory ought to be extra good," Bud joked.
- mainly US and Canadian any of various formation dances, such as a quadrille, in which the couples form squares
- (intr) to perform such a dance
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012