- the second power of a quantity, expressed as a2 = a × a, where a is the quantity.
- a quantity that is the second power of another: Four is the square of two.
verb (used with object), squared, squar·ing.
- to multiply (a number or quantity) by itself; raise to the second power.
- to describe or find a square that is equivalent in area to: to square a circle.
verb (used without object), squared, squar·ing.
adjective, squar·er, squar·est.
- Nautical. to arrange the yards so as to sail before the wind.
- to prepare; get ready: Square away for dinner.
- to assume a position of defense or offense: The wrestlers squared away for the first fall.
- to organize or complete satisfactorily; put in order: I want to square away the work before going on vacation.
- to assume a posture of defense or offense, as in boxing: They squared off for a fight.
- to prepare to dispute with another; show signs of opposition or resistance: The governor and the legislature are squaring off over the landfill issue.
Idioms for square
- at right angles.
- Informal. straightforward; honest; just: Their dealings with us have always been on the square.
- not at right angles.
- not in agreement; incorrect; irregular: The inspector's conclusions are out of square with his earlier report.
Origin of square
OTHER WORDS FROM square
Words nearby square
Example sentences from the Web for squareness
Piles of planks reared high at her back, and edged the scow with the squareness of a room.From the Valley of the Missing|Grace Miller White
Her form was the perfection of childish beauty, without its usual chubbiness and squareness of outline.'
He didn't look into a paper without seeing that on all sides of him men had abandoned the idea of squareness.The Duke's Children|Anthony Trollope
The best way to test for squareness is to measure the diagonals with a stick.Mission Furniture|H. H. Windsor
His body outlines approximate the oblong—a squareness plus length.How to Analyze People on Sight|Elsie Lincoln Benedict and Ralph Paine Benedict
British Dictionary definitions for squareness
- at right angles
- on equal terms
- informal honestly and openly
- slang a phrase identifying someone as a Freemasonhe is on the square
- not at right angles or not having a right angle
- not in order or agreement
- (prenominal) denoting a measure of area of any shapea circle of four square feet
- (immediately postpositive) denoting a square having a specified length on each sidea board four feet square contains 16 square feet
verb (mainly tr)
Derived forms of squaresquareness, nounsquarer, nounsquarish, adjective
Word Origin for square
Scientific definitions for squareness
Cultural definitions for squareness
A number multiplied by itself, or raised to the second power. The square of three is nine; the square of nine is eighty-one.
Idioms and Phrases with squareness
In addition to the idioms beginning with square
- square away
- square deal
- square meal, a
- square off
- square one's shoulders
- square peg in a round hole
- square the circle
- square up
- square with
- back to the drawing board (square one)
- fair and square
- on the square
- round peg in a square hole
- shoot straight (square)