- the second power of a quantity, expressed as a2 = a × a, where a is the quantity.
- a quantity that is the second power of another: Four is the square of two.
verb (used with object), squared, squar·ing.
- to multiply (a number or quantity) by itself; raise to the second power.
- to describe or find a square that is equivalent in area to: to square a circle.
verb (used without object), squared, squar·ing.
adjective, squar·er, squar·est.
- Nautical. to arrange the yards so as to sail before the wind.
- to prepare; get ready: Square away for dinner.
- to assume a position of defense or offense: The wrestlers squared away for the first fall.
- to organize or complete satisfactorily; put in order: I want to square away the work before going on vacation.
- to assume a posture of defense or offense, as in boxing: They squared off for a fight.
- to prepare to dispute with another; show signs of opposition or resistance: The governor and the legislature are squaring off over the landfill issue.
VIDEO FOR SQUARE
WATCH NOW: What Phrases Do You Only Hear In The Midwest?
There are a few words and phrases that these Midwesterners say that maybe the rest of the country doesn't. Here are just a few examples ...
QUIZ YOURSELF ON THE 12 TYPES OF VERB TENSES!
Idioms for square
- at right angles.
- Informal. straightforward; honest; just: Their dealings with us have always been on the square.
- not at right angles.
- not in agreement; incorrect; irregular: The inspector's conclusions are out of square with his earlier report.
Origin of square
OTHER WORDS FROM square
Words nearby square
How to use square in a sentence
For starters there are the 100,000 trillion photons arriving every second at every square centimeter of Earth’s dayside surface, after racing here from the outer envelope of a natural giant thermonuclear reactor we call the sun.The Universe Has Made Almost All the Stars It Will Ever Make - Issue 89: The Dark Side|Caleb Scharf|August 19, 2020|Nautilus
It makes the same prediction for spaces of every dimension — that in covering, say, 12-dimensional space using 12-dimensional “square” tiles, you will end up with at least two tiles that abut each other exactly.
Treating arid land with LNC costs $2 to $5 per square meter, far more than many farmers can afford.A Norwegian Startup Is Turning Dry Deserts Into Fertile Cropland|Vanessa Bates Ramirez|August 19, 2020|Singularity Hub
Most of these were “gridworlds”—literally two-dimensional grids with objects in some squares.DeepMind’s Newest AI Programs Itself to Make All the Right Decisions|Jason Dorrier|July 26, 2020|Singularity Hub
The median sales price of homes in Cheesman Park is $350,000 with an average of $401 per square foot.
Some longtime local acquaintances are struggling to square the man they know with the ugly associations.No. 3 Republican Admits Talking to White Supremacist Conference|Tim Mak|December 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
This last trip it had felt as if there were more cameras around Havana than Times Square.The Life and Hard Times Of The Family A Cuban Defector Left Behind|Brin-Jonathan Butler|December 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Records describe this house as 6,916 square feet, with six bedrooms and eight bathrooms.The Luxury Homes That Torture and Your Tax Dollars Built|Michael Daly|December 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The international media had been waiting on Wenceslas Square since early afternoon.
In the afternoon, about a thousand people marched in protest through the largest Prague square, with police nowhere in sight.
Nowhere can be found a region capable of supporting a larger population to the square mile than Lombardy.
For years his lordship was seldom seen in London, the great house in Grosvenor Square was never opened.The Pit Town Coronet, Volume I (of 3)|Charles James Wills
She opened the door of a square room with large roses on the white wall-paper, and fine old mahogany furniture.Ancestors|Gertrude Atherton
I would not just then have traded off that steamboat for several square miles of snow-capped sublimity.
The building, which has five storeys, stands on three sides of a square courtyard, and faces into Edmund Street.Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham|Thomas T. Harman and Walter Showell
British Dictionary definitions for square
- at right angles
- on equal terms
- informal honestly and openly
- slang a phrase identifying someone as a Freemasonhe is on the square
- not at right angles or not having a right angle
- not in order or agreement
- (prenominal) denoting a measure of area of any shapea circle of four square feet
- (immediately postpositive) denoting a square having a specified length on each sidea board four feet square contains 16 square feet
verb (mainly tr)
Derived forms of squaresquareness, nounsquarer, nounsquarish, adjective
Word Origin for square
Scientific definitions for square
Cultural definitions for square
A number multiplied by itself, or raised to the second power. The square of three is nine; the square of nine is eighty-one.
Idioms and Phrases with square
In addition to the idioms beginning with square
- square away
- square deal
- square meal, a
- square off
- square one's shoulders
- square peg in a round hole
- square the circle
- square up
- square with
- back to the drawing board (square one)
- fair and square
- on the square
- round peg in a square hole
- shoot straight (square)