[skwee-jee, skwee-jee]


an implement edged with rubber or the like, for removing water from windows after washing, sweeping water from wet decks, etc.
a similar and smaller device, as for removing excess water from photographic negatives or prints or for forcing paint, ink, etc., through a porous surface, as in serigraphy.

verb (used with object), squee·geed, squee·gee·ing.

to sweep, scrape, or press with or as if with a squeegee.
to force (paint, ink, etc.) through a screen in making a silk-screen print.

Origin of squeegee

First recorded in 1835–45; originally a nautical term; of obscure origin
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019

Related Words for squeegeed

wipe, dab, swab, pat, rub, sponge, wash, dust, polish, squeegee

Examples from the Web for squeegeed

Historical Examples of squeegeed

British Dictionary definitions for squeegeed


less commonly squilgee


an implement with a rubber blade used for wiping away surplus water from a surface, such as a windowpane
any of various similar devices used in photography for pressing the water out of wet prints or negatives or for squeezing prints onto a glazing surface

verb -gees, -geeing or -geed

to remove (water or other liquid) from (something) by use of a squeegee
(tr) to press down (a photographic print, etc) with a squeegee

Word Origin for squeegee

C19: probably of imitative origin, influenced by squeeze
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012

Word Origin and History for squeegeed



"wooden scraping instrument with a rubber blade," 1844, a nautical word, perhaps from squeege "to press" (1782), an alteration of squeeze.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper