- a cage containing a cylindrical framework that is rotated by a squirrel or other small animal running inside of it.
- any situation that seems to be endlessly without goal or achievement.
Origin of squirrel cage
Examples from the Web for squirrel cage
Historical Examples of squirrel cage
I thought it was a good deal like sleeping in a squirrel-cage.
And you could call the place the Squirrel-Cage, suggested Bob.The Turner Twins
Ralph Henry Barbour
I had given up sleeping in the house, with its squirrel-cage rooms, preferring the soft prairie hay of the barn.
There was great consultation all that day, which ended in Tom Stubbs bringing a squirrel-cage.The Last of the Peterkins
Lucretia P. Hale
The squirrel-cage also prevents “hunting” which is one of the common troubles experienced with synchronous motors or converters.Motion Picture Operation, Stage Electrics and Illusions
Henry C. Horstmann
- a cage consisting of a cylindrical framework that is made to rotate by a small animal running inside the framework
- a repetitive purposeless task, way of life, etc
- Also called: squirrel-cage motor electrical engineering the rotor of an induction motor with a cylindrical winding having copper bars around the periphery parallel to the axis
- an electric fan with many long narrow blades arranged in parallel so as to form a cylinder about an axis around which they spin