- a British island in the S Atlantic: Napoleon's place of exile 1815–21. 47 sq. mi. (122 sq. km).
- a British colony comprising this island, Ascension Island, and the Tristan da Cunha group. 126 sq. mi. (326 sq. km). Capital: Jamestown.
[hel-uh-nuh; for 3 also huh-lee-nuh]
- Saint,c247–c330, mother of Constantine I.
- a city in and the capital of Montana, in the W part.
- a female given name, form of Helen.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a city in W Montana: the state capital. Pop: 26 718 (2003 est)
- Saint. ?248–?328 ad, Roman empress, mother of Constantine I. After converting to Christianity (313) she made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land (?326) where she supposedly discovered the cross on which Christ died. Feast day: May 21
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
fem. proper name, Latin form of Helen.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper