- an adult male deer.
- the male of various other animals.
- a man who attends a social gathering unaccompanied by a woman.
- Informal. stag party.
- a swine or bull castrated after maturation of the sex organs.
- British. a speculator who buys securities of a new issue in the hope of selling them quickly at a higher price.
- Informal. (of a man) to attend a social function without a female companion.
- of or for men only: a stag dinner.
- intended for male audiences and usually pornographic in content: a stag show.
- without a companion or date: to go stag to a dance.
Origin of stag
Related Words for staggedexamine, discover, snoop, scrutinize, case, sleuth, notice, glimpse, scout, trail, watch, spot, search, meddle, tail, observe, reconnoiter, shadow, pry, peep
Examples from the Web for stagged
Historical Examples of stagged
- the adult male of a deer, esp a red deer
- a man unaccompanied by a woman at a social gathering
- stock exchange, British
- a speculator who applies for shares in a new issue in anticipation of a rise in price when trading commences in order to make a quick profit on resale
- (as modifier)stag operations
- (modifier) (of a social gathering) attended by men only
- (modifier) pornographic in contenta stag show
- without a female escort
- stock exchange to apply for (shares in a new issue) with the intention of selling them for a quick profit when trading commences
Word Origin for stag
late 12c., probably from Old English *stagga "stag," from Proto-Germanic *stag- (see sting). The Old Norse equivalent was used of male foxes, tomcats and dragons and the Germanic root word perhaps originally meant "male animal in its prime." Meaning "pertaining to or composed of males only" (stag party) is American English slang from 1848. Stag film "pornographic movie" is attested from 1968.
In addition to the idiom beginning with stag
- stage fright
- stage whisper
- stag party
- go stag