- the parliament of the Netherlands, consisting of an upper chamber (First Chamber) and a lower chamber (Second Chamber).
- French History. the legislative body in France before the French Revolution.
Origin of States-General
First recorded in 1575–85
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the bicameral legislature of the Netherlands
- an assembly of the estates of an entire country in contrast to those of a single province
- Also called: Estates Generalthe assembly of the estates of all France, last meeting in 1789
- the sovereign body of the Dutch republic from the 16th to 18th century
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012