- to crush or flatten with a steamroller.
- to overcome with superior force: to steamroller the competition.
- to bring about the adoption of by overwhelming pressure: to steamroller the resolution through.
- to proceed with implacable force.
- suggestive of a steamroller; ruthlessly overpowering: steamroller tactics.
Origin of steamroller
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for steamroller
The Donald Trump steamroller got run off the road last week, and getting back on track may not be easy.The Trump Backlash Begins
May 6, 2011
His hard lines and angles project the arrogance of a confidence man, or as Arlyn Imberman puts it, “a steamroller.”Bernie's John Hancock
Allan Dodds Frank
March 25, 2009
It was like getting a steamroller in motion to start Hickman.Pitching in a Pinch
- a steam-powered vehicle with heavy rollers at the front and rear used for compressing road surfaces during road-making
- another word for roadroller
- an overpowering force or a person with such force that overcomes all opposition
- (as modifier)steamroller tactics
- (tr) to crush (opposition, etc) by overpowering force