- any of various keyboard instruments, somewhat resembling a typewriter, used for writing in shorthand, as by means of phonetic or arbitrary symbols.
- a character written in shorthand.
- to write in shorthand.
Origin of stenograph
Examples from the Web for stenograph
Historical Examples of stenograph
Slowly she tottered to the desk and sank down into her chair by the stenograph.Category Phoenix
I cannot repeat what he said; I was too much engrossed to take my note-book out and begin to stenograph his story.Stanley's Adventures in the Wilds of Africa
Joel Tyler Headley and William Fletcher Johnson
I cannot repeat what he said; I was too much engrossed to take my notebook out, and begin to stenograph his story.The Personal Life Of David Livingstone
William Garden Blaikie
Did she have any sort of a machine, such as a stenograph, as the gentleman who is serving as court reporter has?Warren Commission (2 of 26): Hearings Vol. II (of 15)
The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
- any of various keyboard machines for writing in shorthand
- any character used in shorthand
- (tr) to record (speeches, minutes, letters, etc) in shorthand