- Saint,died a.d. c35, first Christian martyr.
- Saint,c975–1038, first king of Hungary 997–1038.
- Stephen of Blois, 1097?–1154, king of England 1135–54.
- Sir Leslie,1832–1904, English critic, biographer, and philosopher.
- a male given name.
- Saint,died a.d. 257?, pope 254–257.
- died a.d. 757, pope 752–757.
- died a.d. 772, pope 768–772.
- died a.d. 817, pope 816–817.
- died a.d. 891, pope 885–891.
- died a.d. 897, pope 896–897.
- died a.d. 931, pope 928–931.
- died a.d. 942, pope 939–942.
- died 1058, pope 1057–58.
Examples from the Web for stephen
Contemporary Examples of stephen
“It was Stephen Hawking and five other Nobel laureates,” Krauss recalled.Sleazy Billionaire’s Double Life Featured Beach Parties With Stephen Hawking
January 8, 2015
Some of Dr. Stephen T. Colbert D.F.A.'s best moments behind the desk.The Ultimate 'Colbert Report' Supercut
The Daily Beast Video
December 18, 2014
Stephen Colbert, Amy Poehler, Steve Carell, and a host of others got their start with the improv troupe.The Ladies of Second City Read Grindr Hookup Messages
Jack Holmes, The Daily Beast Video
December 11, 2014
I made sure to have James Lapine and Stephen Sondheim involved throughout the whole process.Rob Marshall Defends ‘Into the Woods’
December 9, 2014
In the end, Stephen did not kill young William, which the knight would claim was due to his charm.England’s Greatest Knight Puts ‘Game of Thrones’ to Shame
December 9, 2014
Historical Examples of stephen
“We would not stay here if you paid us for it,” returned Stephen.
And oh, sir,” added Stephen, “may we crave a drop of water for our dog?
Stephen caught the bridle, and Ambrose helped the burgess into the saddle.
“Master Headley will give us work, mayhap,” said Stephen, turning to Tibble.
“Ay, sure, both of us; but Ambrose is the best scribe,” said Stephen.
- ?1097–1154, king of England (1135–54); grandson of William the Conqueror. He seized the throne on the death of Henry I, causing civil war with Henry's daughter Matilda. He eventually recognized her son (later Henry II) as his successor
- Saint. died ?35 ad, the first Christian martyr. Feast day: Dec 26 or 27
- Saint, Hungarian name István. ?975–1038 ad, first king of Hungary as Stephen I (997–1038). Feast day: Aug 16 or 20
- Sir Leslie. 1832–1904, English biographer, critic, and first editor of the Dictionary of National Biography; father of the novelist Virginia Woolf
masc. proper name, from Latin Stephanus, from Greek Stephanos, from stephanos "crown, garland." Exclusively a monk's name in Old English, it became common after the Conquest.