- Alexander Hamilton,1812–83, U.S. statesman: vice-president of the Confederacy 1861–65.
- James,1882–1950, Irish poet and novelist.
- Saint,died a.d. c35, first Christian martyr.
- Saint,c975–1038, first king of Hungary 997–1038.
- Stephen of Blois, 1097?–1154, king of England 1135–54.
- Sir Leslie,1832–1904, English critic, biographer, and philosopher.
- a male given name.
Examples from the Web for stephens
America, Stephens writes, is not necessarily in “decline” but rather “retreat.”‘America in Retreat’: Why Neo-Isolationism Exploded Under Obama and What We Can Do About It
December 1, 2014
“Back to the drawing board and what a circus we will have to watch,” Stephens said.Meet the Hollywood Power Couple Who Bet Big on the Midterms—and Lost
November 6, 2014
“One of my teachers was very upset,” Stephens told The Daily Beast.School Shooting Drills Can Be More Terrifying Than Helpful
April 3, 2014
So it is not true, as Mr. Stephens asserts (0:22), that “Pakistan's most distinguished citizens always leave the country.”No Denial From Bret Stephens Re. Yeshiva University Panel Slurs
October 29, 2013
Israel's existence, said Stephens, was the reason “super secular” types like himself were proud to identify as Jews.Israel as a Totem for Jewish Identity
October 24, 2013
Yes, it was his, this home of dead and gone Stephens; it was here, and he was its master.Two Sides of the Face
Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch
Mr. Stephens has scolded us,and Mr. Howells and Mr. Alden have counselled us wisely.
He remembered that at that time Mr. Stephens had knelt down and prayed for him.
Edwards, keep these keys in your safe until Mr. Stephens comes.
What had Mr. Stephens in his house that proved a special temptation?
- ?1097–1154, king of England (1135–54); grandson of William the Conqueror. He seized the throne on the death of Henry I, causing civil war with Henry's daughter Matilda. He eventually recognized her son (later Henry II) as his successor
- Saint. died ?35 ad, the first Christian martyr. Feast day: Dec 26 or 27
- Saint, Hungarian name István. ?975–1038 ad, first king of Hungary as Stephen I (997–1038). Feast day: Aug 16 or 20
- Sir Leslie. 1832–1904, English biographer, critic, and first editor of the Dictionary of National Biography; father of the novelist Virginia Woolf
Word Origin and History for stephens
masc. proper name, from Latin Stephanus, from Greek Stephanos, from stephanos "crown, garland." Exclusively a monk's name in Old English, it became common after the Conquest.