verb (used with object), shoved, shov·ing.
verb (used without object), shoved, shov·ing.
- to push a boat from the shore.
- Informal. to go away; depart: I think I'll be shoving off now.
HEED THE VOX POPULI, AND TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for shove
Origin of shove1
OTHER WORDS FROM shoveshov·er, nounun·shoved, adjective
Words nearby shove
Definition for stick it (2 of 2)
verb (used with object), stuck, stick·ing.
verb (used without object), stuck, stick·ing.
Origin of stick2
SYNONYMS FOR stick
OTHER WORDS FROM stickstick·a·ble, adjectivestick·a·bil·i·ty, nounre·stick·a·ble, adjective
British Dictionary definitions for stick it (1 of 3)
Derived forms of shoveshover, noun
Word Origin for shove
British Dictionary definitions for stick it (2 of 3)
- any long thin piece of wood
- such a piece of wood having a characteristic shape for a special purposea walking stick; a hockey stick
- a baton, wand, staff, or rod
- a group of bombs arranged to fall at intervals across a target
- a number of paratroops jumping in sequence
- verbal abuse, criticismI got some stick for that blunder
- physical power, force (esp in the phrase give it some stick)
verb sticks, sticking or sticked
Word Origin for stick
British Dictionary definitions for stick it (3 of 3)
verb sticks, sticking or stuck
Word Origin for stick
Idioms and Phrases with stick it (1 of 3)
Continue what one is doing, endure something to the end, as in I hate large parties but I promised her I'd stick it to the end. [Early 1900s] Also see stick out, def. 2.
Also, stick it or shove it up one's ass. Do whatever you like with it, I don't want it, as in Do that job all over again? Why don't you stick it?, or Tell the chef he can take this fish and shove it up his ass. This vulgar slangy idiom, which uses stick in the sense of “thrust inward or upward,” also functions as a variant of up yours. [Second half of 1800s]
Idioms and Phrases with stick it (2 of 3)
see push comes to shove; push (shove) off; ram (shove) down someone's throat; stick (shove) it.
Idioms and Phrases with stick it (3 of 3)
In addition to the idioms beginning with stick
- stick around
- stick at
- stick by
- stick in one's craw
- stick it
- stick it to someone
- stick one's neck out
- stick out
- stick to
- stick together
- stick to one's guns
- stick to one's last
- stick to the ribs
- stick up
- stick up for
- stick with
- sticky fingers
- carrot and stick
- get on the stick
- make stick
- more than one can shake a stick at
- short end of the stick
- stand (stick) up for
- wrong end of the stick
Also see understuck.